Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.

Gonna powdercoat my calipers...

Uber///M3

The ole StopTechs are looking mighty dingy and faded these days and I've got some extra money this month, so I'm thinking of taking my brake calipers off and sending them off to be powdercoated.

This company was recommended to me: http://www.thepowdercoater.com/

I checked thru his caliper gallery and his work seems pretty professional. But I'm trying to decide what color I want. I talked with him and he says if you want a silver or white logo, they can't be clear-coated afterwards (cause they'll run). I figured I'd like clearcoating cause it'll make them more durable to cleaning (since I drive the car pretty regularly). So it looks like the logo's going to have to be black.

With that in mind, I kinda like the candy red. But I also like the Bentley Blue (it's a close match to the paint on the car).

What'd'ya'll think?

Ok, that's one for blue and one for candy apple red. It's neck and neck in a tight race - LOL!

As for the red interior, I'm in the process of changing that also. Gonna go with black seats (will post pics once the work's done).

Thanks for your feedback!

How about this? Done by the same guy you listed.

http://www.m5board.c...tml#post2231784

Yeah, I saw those in the gallery on his site. And it's tempting to go with an ///M logo if I decide to go blue on the calipers. However, if I did that, I can't get them clearcoated. Mike (the owner of thepowdercoater.com) says the color of the caliper (red or blue) will bleed into white or silver lettering if you clearcoat it afterwards. Also, I kinda like the StopTech logo branding. It's easier for people to immediately recognize they're aftermarket.

Thanks for your input.

Powder coating will required a total caliper rebuild due to the baking oven while painting will not. My painted brembos held up fine and I do not believe any coatings will necessarily reduce the effort required to remove brake dust.

You're right. They'll have to be rebuilt. That's why I chose this vendor (like "one stop shopping") because in addition to powdercoating the calipers, he also rebuilds them with new pressure seals and dust boots. He also has the digital image files to recreate the factory StopTech logo on them.

I thought about painting them instead of going thru the expense of powdercoating them but researched it and found out that powdercoating is much more durable and pliable (doesn't chip as easily as a painted metal surface). Agreed, it's still going to be an effort to keep them clean (whether painted or powdercoated). And hopefully clearcoating them will maintain the fresh appearance of the logo (which is also one of my goals for refinishing them).

Thanks for your input!

Powder coating will required a total caliper rebuild due to the baking oven while painting will not. My painted brembos held up fine and I do not believe any coatings will necessarily reduce the effort required to remove brake dust.

This. I would also ask him where he gets the replacement parts from? I would just have them painted locally. Faster turn around time and as long as you don't spray them with wheel cleaner when you go to clean them and you will be just fine. Even power coat wont hold up to wheel cleaners or brake dust build up.

• 2 weeks later...