Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.

Hendrick BMW - Charlotte

First of all this is a thread on my experience at Hendrick BMW- Charlotte. This doesn't mean that everyone will get treated like I did or anything like that...

Ive had to go there for a few misc. things.. indicator light sockets, sunroof, battery problem and so on.

Holly Simpson - the service manager - is very prejudice against kids and young adults..

I stood in the service "breezeway" for 20 minutes as she and numerous other dealership employees walked straight past me and helped other adults who had arrived after i did. Finally my friend I was with grabbed a guy by the arm that walked by and said, "what the f*** is the deal? who is the manager back here?"

We went into Holly's office and sat down and i told her that i knew her and the others had seen me arrive before the adults who had already been helped. She said she didnt know what i was talking about.. and we could tell she was lying out her a**. Anyways my dad called down told them its his car and i was doing him a favor and bringing it in and that he was questioning calling our friend from atlanta who is V.P. of Hendrick for the USA... she apologized and basically cried on the phone to my dad telling him she would never let it happen again. blah blah blah

so i get my s*** done and leave.

come back 2 months later for a check and to get my sunroof looked at (the sunshade was off track) and get a quote on getting my passenger side mirror cover replaced (my friend ran by and popped it off and one of the clips that hold it on broke)

she told me that i needed to have the whole sunroof replaced ($1500) because the mechanics couldnt retrack my sunshade.. i pulled up the service manual online and all they have to do is remove the headliner and retrack it.. it takes 30 minutes.

i told her this and she was dumbfounded that a kid would actually know what hes talking about lol. she said she would go ask the mechanics.

she came back and said that the clips that the shade is attached to were broken and the new set of clips was 150 bucks

so i went and sat inside while they did my 45K check-up or whatever and i came back out to look at the car and the mirror cover was gone. i said what the f*** wheres my mirror cover.. she said "uhh it must have fallen off when they did a test drive after the service work, but i can order u another one for 160 bucks and have it painted and ready in a week"

called my dad.. he bitched her out and told her i drove from Mooresville to Hendrick with the broken mirror cover and it didn't fall off.. but they take it on a 1 block test drive and it disappears?? so i got a new mirror cover for free and she was pissed. after that i stood up told her shes a shitty excuse for a service manager and left

haven't gone back since lol

anyways sorry if any of u are Hendrick-happy customers or are considering going there but ive had some bad experiences just due to the fact she thought i was stupid because i was 17.

so yeah.. sorry saw this section of the forum and i had to let it all out haha

good luck with wherever u go for ur car.

<_< -Ryan

is she still employed there?

it was probably about 7-8 months ago when i went there last which is right when u said u started working there... so im not sure if she left or got demoted or what. idk

either way she tried to f*** me over and i said no thanks! haha

I know for sure that she has never been a service manager... The one we have now has been here for around 3 years... Holly is just a regular service advisor. We have like 12 of them. Holly actually started out as just a cashier.

I think he confused Service Adviso with Service Manager... Isn't that tall old guy your service manager?

Chris Blocker is the Service Manager.

I have told this story before and I will again.

One day long long ago. I called to get my DRL's turned off

1. Guy on phone tells me $100 - I am like WTF?

2. I emailed a request for this service and Chris Blocker returned my email stating $25 - I am like ok, cool.

3. I get to Hendrick, pull up and Johanne comes up to me and ask why I am there, (after telling him) he's like ok that's $75

Three different people, three different prices. It showed me that in general, they will get what they think they can when possible. My advice would be just confront them like you did and get the price corrected to a more acceptable amount like I did.

Now, in the same breath, Johanne has taken care of me the last two times in and in dollar amounts much larger than these.

Not to mention Ryan is a great resource at the parts counter WERD :ninja:

Chris Blocker is the Service Manager.

I have told this story before and I will again.

One day long long ago. I called to get my DRL's turned off

1. Guy on phone tells me $100 - I am like WTF?

2. I emailed a request for this service and Chris Blocker returned my email stating $25 - I am like ok, cool.

3. I get to Hendrick, pull up and Johanne comes up to me and ask why I am there, (after telling him) he's like ok that's $75

Three different people, three different prices. It showed me that in general, they will get what they think they can when possible. My advice would be just confront them like you did and get the price corrected to a more acceptable amount like I did.

Now, in the same breath, Johanne has taken care of me the last two times in and in dollar amounts much larger than these.

Not to mention Ryan is a great resource at the parts counter WERD :ninja:

Yeah, Ryan is cool :)

well maybe she was service adviser. i must have been confused.. and as far as the sunshade goes the right price to replace track and clips is 125 bucks. not 1200 bucks. bmw dealership in hickory and in winston-salem are much better people IMO than charlotte. but for some of u that might be 1 hell of a drive.. they are all about the same distance for me since im 30 miles north of charlotte. alright im going to bed. good luck all.

It was $1500 a couple days ago...hmmm...

Anyways, the sunroof shade being off track has been a common problem with the e46. In a lot of the cases, a full sunroof cassette would need to be ordered. But in most cases, just the sunshade clips need to be replaced..

#17 and #16 in the pics.... (part numbers may vary between years) Qty. of 2 each.

187.png

It was $1500 a couple days ago...hmmm...

Anyways, the sunroof shade being off track has been a common problem with the e46. In a lot of the cases, a full sunroof cassette would need to be ordered. But in most cases, just the sunshade clips need to be replaced..

#17 and #16 in the pics.... (part numbers may vary between years) Qty. of 2 each.

187.png

Thx a lot Ryan.

yeah and to have the #16 and #17 pieces replaced is 36+40 dollars plus labor. somewhere around 160 dollars of labor (1hr) so we will call it 234 plus tax. thats a little bit different than 1500 bucks dont u think? haha

Wow. Holly is my SA and I've used her for years, she's always helped me, even when I walked in without appointments. She's always been very nice. And I'm 21.

But I definitely can relate to the frustration of that service area. They need a "check-in" station. It's so disorganized that when your SA isn't in their office, you have no idea what to do but stand around.

Wow. Holly is my SA and I've used her for years, she's always helped me, even when I walked in without appointments. She's always been very nice. And I'm 21.

But I definitely can relate to the frustration of that service area. They need a "check-in" station. It's so disorganized that when your SA isn't in their office, you have no idea what to do but stand around.

Same here...

• 1 month later...

I don't remember who it was... it was a female service advisor in her mid to late 20's with reddish brown hair. Terrible, terrible experience with her. In fact, I'll insist on a new advisor if someone tries to stick me with her again. Why she works there, I don't know. I won't list the experience because I don't wanna badmouth anyone (further).

Other than that, usually trips to Hendrick BMW in Charlotte are pleasant. People are always very helpful and don't mind showing me things themselves on my car. Parts counter guys don't mind pulling up a list of stuff for me even if it takes 20 minutes. I think I'm almost to first-name-basis with them... Haven't had any issues with repair work (except with above advisor - hiss!). Things have been repaired as expected and pretty much on time every time. Once, the cashier asked us to pay a different price than we were quoted and that was quickly fixed.

I was kinda disappointed the other day when I asked about door electrical issues and heard back, "Well, we usually just start replacing things one by one until it works." I'm not big on throwing parts at a car especially if you're not even sure if there's anything wrong with them. Good thing NC Vehicle Repair Act has my back if that happens :)

• 4 months later...

This post is actually how I found this site. I hate for this to be my first post (not counting my introduction), but I would like to weigh in on this subject as, again, this is what lead me to the site.

Sorry for the length, but I want to be accurate in the story.

Like others, I will not post any names as the intent is not to get anyone in trouble. I will also not go into "too" many details as I don't want to make any future service visits (they are the closest to me for warranty work) even worse.

I have an 04 325i purchased less than one year ago, not from Hendrick. It was a "BMW Pre-certified Pre-owned" though and still under warranty.

I started having a minor electrical problem with my vehicle (central locking and hazards stopped working) over a weekend. I checked all fuses, the owners manual, and my Bentley/Chilton's book and it did not seem anything obvious was wrong. As Hendricks was closed (Sunday), I used their online service request form. It was not a major problem, so I wasn't too worried when it took a week to get a response (email). I was a little disheartened at the wording (very "short" tone) and the way they said it would take about a month to get an appointment if I needed a loaner and I needed to call in. Again, I know this is not a high priority item (my car still ran fine) so I wasn't that upset with the delay.

When I arrived for my appointment (literally a month later), I wasn't sure what to do. The comments about the service bay being confusing are quite true. I pulled into the bay, got out of my car, stood beside it and waited. As people arrived with nicer and/or newer cars, they were promptly greeted and whisked into an office. I just stood there looking like an idiot. Was this my fault because I looked clueless? I don't know. I am just an average looking computer guy in my mid-30's who was dressed for work. However, a lot of the people pulling in after me obviously didn't have appointments. I could clearly hear them talking about the problems they were having and not one was told to wait a month for an appointment. In fact, an older couple in a E92 with a t-tag pulled in when their rear window spontaneously shattered that morning when they turned on the rear defroster. They just drove in with no appointment, yet left in a loaner before anyone talked to me.

Being able to take a hint, I decided to hunt someone down to see what I was supposed to do. An attractive young woman (who seemed very nice) asked me who my service adviser was. My who? No one had given me this information. Luckily she was able to look it up for me on the board and get me in that advisers "line'. Without mentioning any names, I will say this advisers name has been mentioned in this thread.

Finally, after waiting for the SA for about 10 minutes (I had been there with my car in the bay for about 30 minutes by then), I was taken into an office. I was asked a lot of questions about where I bought the car, why I bought it there, what I used to drive, etc. A lot of this may have just been getting to know me, and that is fine, but it was a little weird. The SA was obviously "multi-tasking" though and I know I did not have their full attention. People were constantly coming in and out asking questions, shuffling papers, etc. hey, it's a busy place, that's fine, but they didn't have to act so snotty towards me if they weren't going to reciprocate.

Finally, chit-chat's over, my info is in the machine, now onto my problem. "My central locking stopped working about one month ago but this is the first appointment I could get". "Ohhh, that might be a problem" they said with a semi-sinister look. "That problem is almost always because you spilled coffee or soda in the unit and BMW will not pay for repair". I assured them that this was not the case. "We will have to swipe a major credit card to pay for the part in case it was your fault- it almost always is". Odd. My family owns 20 + auto dealerships in the North East (domestics). I have never heard of such a policy. Oh, well, I just want it fixed so I go ahead with it.

The SA then quizzes me more about the car...am I having any other problems? Is there anything else I can think of? Nope- that's it. They tell me it should take 2-3 hours and they will call me when it's ready. Let's go to the loaner.

I won't go too much into my dissatisfaction with the loaner as I should be appreciative they provided one. Yes, it smelled like a rancid ashtray and only had a little gas in it, but, oh well, I had transportation. It is worth noting that I was told the loaner was only valid for the day and I would be in trouble if I kept it longer (why would I?). I was also told that I HAD to being it back full or be charged even though it had less than a quarter tank of gas in it.

It's now about 8:00 AM and I go to work. They estimate I can pick up my car at lunch and they'll give me a call.

When I get to work, my boss, who owns a brand new Z4, says he is having a problem and needs service as well. His convertible top was making a clicking noise when raising/lowering. I told him "good luck" as it took a month for me to get an appointment. Not heeding my warning, he drive over to Hendrick. He was back at work 35 minutes later in a loaner nicer than the car her took in. Huh?

Around 2:00 PM my boss asks if I want to go to Hendrick. His car is ready (the one he didn't have an appointment for and took in after me).

About 3:45PM I decide to give them a call. It's a busy place, maybe they just forgot to call me. Plus, it's Friday and they probably have a lot of cars in before the weekend. I was bounced around on put on hold several times before I got disconnected. I called back and finally got through to my SA's voice mail. I left a polite message and my work and cell number. Nothing...

It's now getting close to 5PM. I'd like to go home (it is Friday after all) and I have family coming into town. Plus, I am not allowed to keep the loaner for more than a day and the shop would be closing soon. I call in and got a hold of a service rep. I was told my SA was busy and she would call me right back- 5 minutes tops. 30 minutes later, still nothing, I call back. I get another service rep who told me my SA had left at 3PM and they could not give me a status on my car. I asked what to do about the loaner and they said to call back the next day (Saturday). Frustrated, I went home.

I called Hendricks when they opened Saturday morning and they said they would have an update for me shortly. A lot of fuss for a switch that pops in and out like a Lego block. This craps out my Saturday afternoon as I was told I wasn't supposed to keep the loaner and I don't know if/when they will call.

Eureka. I get a call from Hendricks a little after lunch. My car is ready and "please come pick it up ASAP". Their wish is my command and I am on my way. One quick stop to fill the (entire) tank on the rental I drove less than 40 miles and I am there.

They ask me to go wait in the "VIP" area for my car to be brought around. VIP? I went from schmuck that can't get a warranty appointment for 30 days to VIP overnight! Anyway, as I had no idea where the "VIP" area was, I stood around looking homeless in the drop-off area. A few minutes later, my car arrived and I left.

Looking at my receipt on the way home I realize what took so long. My invoice was literally three pages...."Customer complains windshield wipers do not work", "Customer complains power windows are not working", "Customer complains vehicle needs low mileage service", "Customer complains popping noises when opening/closing door", and many more. They did over $1000 worth of warranty work on my car for things I did not even know were broken! While I was happy I didn't have to pay for the new central locking switch, I wish they had told me they were doing a complete restore on the rest.

Now, I am not going to complain that they put all those new parts on my car free of charge (at least I think they did- I couldn't tell any difference and wasn't experiencing any problems before I went in). However, I have to wonder if there was some "stuff" going on to get it done. I never mentioned ( or even knew about) any of those items, let alone "complained". The service slip I got (and signed) when I dropped off the car had one item- central locking. My signature was not on the copy of the slip I received when I picked up my car. Thanks for the "free stuff", but no wonder BMW is getting leery on warranty work if dealers are pulling this stuff. Sure, the wipers and oil change were covered under free maintenance, but the rest, several hundred dollars worth, came out of nowhere. I am not accusing anyone of anything, but I am suspicious (as I have a right to be) about some of this.

And for the icing on the cake...starting about three days after my service appointment and going on for about two weeks, I got several calls from Hendrick salesmen telling me they had the "perfect buyer" for my car, or "great deals" on new cars and now was the time to trade, etc. All very scripted calls. When one salesman told me he had a "perfect buyer", I asked him what so special about my car. He admitted that he didn't even know what my car was, just that I had recently had warranty work done. Finally, after me asking them twice to stop, the calls ceased.

Some of this was petty, I know, but overall it was a strange experience and I was disappointed. I have a new issue I would like looked at and I am seriously considering going elsewhere for service. I have never had anything but glowing results with BMW serious (previous vehicles and in other states) until now.

holy crap that is so sketchy. Have you checked your credit card for any charges since then? After all they pulled I wouldn't put it past them to charge you for something as well.

I actually wasn't charged anything. I called the CC company to double check, there was an "authorization" for five hundred and change (maybe insurance for the loaner and the central locking switch in case it wasn't covered?), but nothing was charged. All I was out was for filling up the tank in the chimney stack loaner...no big deal. Looks like BMW warranty paid the rest. I am thinking (although I could be wrong) they crammed a lot of warranty work on the car they knew BMW would pay for to get revenue. That is strictly an allegation, and I don't know that for sure, but what I signed does not match what I got back (service list). Maybe it's a "free complete inspection and restoration" service they offer that I didn't know about :blink:

What got me the most was how I had to wait a month for an appointment while others rolled in and out like they owned the place- including my boss. Someone else in this thread commented on how younger owners were treated.....since I don't really fit in that category anymore, I am thinking it may include what you are driving and how busy they are.

Again, my experience is based on one visit. Maybe I'll give them another shot and everything will be fine. I just felt things were a little "shady" after my visit, did some Google-ing to see if anyone felt the same, and found this thread (and ended up joining). I hated that my first "real" post here was semi-negative (although the silver lining was that I apparently got a lot of free parts), but that's just how it ended up.

-S

As a past employee with Hendrick BMW while I was in college; the main thing to remember is to find a trustworthy service advisor. Not sure if johan(sp?) is still there, but he's really on top of his game. Never had a problem with him as far as scheduling/pricing...the whole nine. Haven't been there in well over a year since my warranty ran out. But the two times that I needed to have my car repaired for service since then, I've gone with 2 Independent BMW shops as I can get a better deal with them.

Now that Holly went to Hendrick Mini, my Dad and I use Kelly as the SA. He seems very nice and knowledgeable. I went in last week and am going back this week to have some interior trim replaced. Last time I went, there was someone waiting as I opened my door. Anyway, the thing that annoys me now is every time I go, they ask if I know where the "lounge" is and if I've been there before. HELLO?! I've been dozens and dozens of times, my family bought other cars there, would be nice to not be treated like a n00b. I know the place like the back of my hand. At least the Starbucks coffee is good.