Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.

Hendrick BMW in Charlotte

Well, let me explain how my Hendrick BMW experience went today.

I dropped the car off for the alignment. They greeted me within five minutes and I went to the lounge. I waited nearly two hours, after which time my service advisor came out, brought me to his office, and explained to me that while they were moving my car, they had an accident with it and ripped the front bumper halfway off, and scratched up the fender. He told me it would take "a couple days" to fix it. Given that it's now Wednesday, I think it's a safe wager that I won't see my car again until next week.

They gave me a loaner and they're going to have the damage repaired. I got the impression that I was supposed to be happy about that--the fact that they're fixing what they broke. Whoopdeedoo! No "We won't charge you for the alignment", no "Here's a free oil change coupon", no "Sorry you waited two hours for nothing and also have to do an extra hour and a half of driving that you weren't supposed to have to", nothing.

I got this car three weeks ago and have been waiting the entire three weeks to actually "have" it. Granted, that wait is my fault for choosing the slowest mechanic in the metro area, but it's still incredibly aggravating that I just got it back yesterday, and now, it has collision damage, and it's out of my hands again with people I don't trust at all.

I'm not sure if I'll I won't be going back to Hendrick for service.

Tire Kingdom FTW. Nah, that really does suck. My impression is that they get so busy there b/c think about it, they are the ONLY BMW service shop locally. Now pair that with the amount of bimmers in town. It's nuts. Hendrick should step up and build that Lake Norman location quickly.

Also let me add that you should certainly ask them for a reduction on the price of the alignment given the circumstances. Now you have a vehicle wth damage and you have been making a car payment over the next few weeks on a car you can't drive. Pro-rate the monthly payment over the next few weeks and at least get that off if you can $50-60. My guess is they will take care of it all.

Oh hell do I now wish I'd followed your advice and just gone to Tire Kingdom. Or MBV European. Or Motorsport Connections. Or Import Connection. Or Sears.

But the thing is, Hendrick is not the only BMW shop around. They are the only official dealer though and as such they have some toys that BMW doesn't provide to independents (e.g. the BMW Service Tool I believe they call it), but at this point I think I'm going indy-only. If I really need a dealer for service I'll drive 56 miles to Flow BMW in Winston Salem.

I just found out vicariously that they won't be charging me for the alignment. Hopefully it's actually still aligned though, now that they've slammed the front end into another vehicle.

They told me they'd be sending my car to a local body shop (i.e. Import Paint & Body), but they later told my wife that they'd be doing all the work.

And I think they forgot about my request to retrieve the radio code...

I can't wait for that BMW service survey.

The service advisors make a nice bonus based on the survey so be as nice as you can. It sounds like they are going to take care of you and I can promise you they will have Import do the work becuase they can't do paint work. With BMW now providing maintenance on all newer cars that is where they are getting overloaded in the service bays.

My general suggestion is, if you are out of warranty, take it anywhere but the dealership unless you know someone there really well that will take care of you.

Chris, the service manager, explicitly told my wife that it wasn't leaving the dealership for the bumper replacement. That does contradict what the SA told me and everything I've heard about Hendrick, which is why I'm thinking they're just going to cob it together however they can. They don't normally do that sort of thing, but "Hey it's just some schmuck's 1997..."

Chris Blocker is actually a pretty good guy. I am no cheerleader for them by no means but between Chris and Johanne (sp) they have done me right. Again, they are just overwhelmed in my opinion. It might be that the bumper gets taken off at BMW and sent over to Import for painting and then put back on by BMW.

That's bad news. Hendrick is usually pretty careful but hopefully they will take care of you the right way. I had a similiar experience at Carolina VW although they neglected to tell me about the damage and I noticed it after I got home. Import is a really good body shop.. I've seen some nice work come out of there. I would guess to properly paint match and align the bumper it would have to go to Import. I'd be pretty angry too but I hope it works out for you.

It is an unfortunate situation to what happened, but accidents do happen whether it be at a dealer, indy shop, or national chain.

But from what I heard here at the dealer, the vehicle already had front bumper damage and this little fender bender finished it off. That was failed to be mentioned and the following in your rant...

-Your car will remain at the dealer

-A brand new bumper will be painted at our authorized BMW collision center and installed at the dealer.

-You will NOT be charged for your alignment

-Dents on your vehicle that were NOT part of the accident will be taken care of at NO charge

-We will detail the vehicle at NO charge

-Once the new bumper is on, we will deliver the car to your house

Honestly, with the new bumper and taking $300+ worth of dents out, value was probably just added to the car.

I realize you are heated and whatnot. But with posting this and already bashing the dealer, we could fix the bumper and send you on your way. But no, we try to make the best of the situation and make the customer satisfied.

Also, about getting that service survey from BMW, you are around 7 years too late for that......

It is an unfortunate situation to what happened, but accidents do happen whether it be at a dealer, indy shop, or national chain.

Sure, but on the other hand, this is a car that went 11 years with nothing more than a few door dings. I bring it into Hendrick, and within minutes, the bumper is halfway ripped off.

But from what I heard here at the dealer, the vehicle already had front bumper damage and this little fender bender finished it off. That was failed to be mentioned and the following in your rant...

That is completely false. The bumper was not damaged in any way when I dropped it off. Nor did the fender have any damage. (And actually, what about the fender? If Hendrick doesn't do painting, how will it get fixed?)

-A brand new bumper will be painted at our authorized BMW collision center and installed at the dealer.

So the collision shop will be painting the bumper using only the color code, without actually matching the color of an 11-year-old car. This doesn't make me feel any better.

-You will NOT be charged for your alignment

-Dents on your vehicle that were NOT part of the accident will be taken care of at NO charge

-We will detail the vehicle at NO charge

-Once the new bumper is on, we will deliver the car to your house

I realize you are heated and whatnot. But with posting this and already bashing the dealer, we could fix the bumper and send you on your way. But no, we try to make the best of the situation and make the customer satisfied.

Well, consider that when I left the dealership, no one told me that those dents would be fixed (they told me I could "get an estimate" on them), nor did they tell me they'd cover the alignment, nor did they tell me they'd do the detailing. All they said is that they'd replace the bumper (which is obviously an obligation) and deliver the car to my house. (I turned down the delivery offer.) When Chris entered the SA's office, he didn't even introduce himself to me, and all he said was "This isn't what we had planned for your car today."

I left Hendrick knowing almost none of what you posted above. So is it my fault I came here and posted as I did?

I heard about the other stuff (detailing, etc.) a couple hours later from my wife, after she called Chris. It stands to reason that her phone call is why they decided to do that stuff in the first place.

Also, about getting that service survey from BMW, you are around 7 years too late for that......

Boy is my face red on that one. With my previous vehicle (which was not a BMW), they always took surveys after service appointments, regardless. I had no intention of badmouthing my SA, in case anyone took it that way.

I will not come away from this feeling as if I've done something wrong. If Hendrick actually does make it right, though, I'll admit it and thank them for doing so. I'm going to give them a chance.

Thanks for the input. Hope to see you Friday. :)

Damn, Chris Blocker is the service manager? I remember him working as a service assistant during the summers just like me back in the day. Didn't realize he actually stayed or came back or whatever. Seemed like a kool guy though.

Funny about Hendrick being the only BMW dealer. That is kind of weird considering the massive amounts of Bimmers roaming the charlotte metro area. Especially since MB now has 2 locations. Not to rain on anybody. I stopped by there last week for some molding clips. Half were wrong, half were right. Called and got the part situated and then the guy called me to confirm that they had arrived; wasn't expecting that. Went back and got the rest of the clips with no problems on tuesday.

It's a bad situation that your car was damaged, but accidents do happen. I can only imagine what the back of Hendrick looks like now that they have free maint on their newer cars. But the main thing is that their taking care of you + more and realize their mistake.

Since I have the day off today, (finally) I do not have any further information on how everything will be handled. With the amount of painted stuff we deliver or the body shop brings back, I am sure the person who will be painting the bumper will bring cards, or a scan tool to give an accurate match on your car.

I just have a hard time believing that the car did not have any prior damage from when you brought it in considering you were looking for a body shop in the Charlotte area on another forum in late March.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969003

Again, we hope to get everything resolved to your satisfaction in a timely manner.

BTW, Carl, I just sold you what you asked for. 7 smalls and 7 normal clips. ;)

Had no problem making up the difference in your favor for the right ones.

I just have a hard time believing that the car did not have any prior damage from when you brought it in considering you were looking for a body shop in the Charlotte area on another forum in late March. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969003

You're calling me a liar? Please, let's not do this.

I suppose that black Z3 that was parked next to mine had preexisting left/rear bumper damage too, before they finished the job with my right/front.

The air dam (front spoiler, whatever you call it) had a crack in the very middle, underneath the nose of the car, when I brought it in. To see it, you would have had to get on your knee and look under the front plate, or step away and do the same. The fender had zero damage, the bumper itself had zero damage, and the air dam on the side where the damage has now been done also had zero damage. The damage done by Hendrick ripped the right side of both the bumper and air dam off. It has nothing to do with the crack of the air dam in the front. A car with 0 miles on it would have had the same outcome as mine did.

When I asked about body shops in the area, I was primarily interested in getting the dings and scratches on the driver's side door fixed. I also have a M-B c230 I'd be taking in if I was happy with their work.

As I said before, I'm going to give Hendrick a fair chance to make it right.

Alright, we see there is no real answer, let's just wait to see the results of Hendricks efforts and move on. I am sure they are going to take care of it. From experience the pointing fingers thing never really does any good.

I know you're angry and all but after reading most of the thread it sounds like you ended up being WAY better off in the long run or am I reading things wrong?

Between the rain and me being sick, I haven't been able to post an update.

I was going to post a picture or two to show how it looks now. Haven't gotten around to it.

The Good:

* I got a free alignment. The caster is still out of spec though. (The SA said something about why that's supposedly OK, but I can't remember what it was.)

* They pulled a few of the small dings on the driver-side door. (These areas still need to be repainted.)

* They put a new air dam on. It's nice having the new air dam, since the old one was cracked.

The Bad:

* The bumper is not centered; it's off by about a quarter of an inch (i.e. sticks out on the right side), and it's not aligned front-to-rear either.

* The fender seems to be bent in slightly from the impact. This may be part of the reason the bumper appears out of alignment; it can't fully align, since the fender bends in. It's very hard to tell.

* The fender also has some paint damage on it still, and there is also a small amount of plastic and/or paint from the other vehicle there.

* The paint on the bumper and air dam is very slightly lighter in shade than the body color.

* There is a paint drip trail on the right side of the bumper.

* The trim piece in the very front (where the license plate holder is) is not seated; it sticks out ~1/2 inch.

* The wheel well liner has a crack in it (no, it wasn't there before).

So the mixed feelings continue to linger I'm assuming?

So the mixed feelings continue to linger I'm assuming?

Absolutely. I'm glad I have the new air dam (the previous, broken one did bother me), but it also bothers me how my fender and bumper look now. It's not terrible looking, but I know it's there and it bothers me. My brother-in-law saw the car for the first time the other day and it took him about 2 seconds to spot what I'm talking about without me having mentioned it to him beforehand.

But the last thing I want to do is bring my car back to that dealership. So I guess I'll just have to live with it until I can afford to pay someone to fix it.

Now, I just need for one of the "Hey, it happens; they're human" chimers to explain to me why I should have to decide between personally paying to get the damage they inflicted properly fixed, or taking the car back to people I don't like or trust, or filing a BBB complaint and/or a lawsuit to get it corrected by proxy.

Hendrick still hasn't come up with the idea of having someone check you in at the service area. I do not enjoy standing around, sometimes for quite a while, trying to get someone to help when I arrive. The dealer where I bought my first BMW in VA had a receptionist desk with someone always there. Not to mention Hendrick's two-hour oil changes.