Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.

Who's running HID???

Well Im online searchin for sum mods for my car and one on the list is a HID kit. Ive never bought one b4 but ive installed a few of them. Im just postin to see what brand everyone is using so i dont make a $150-$500 mistake. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Well Im online searchin for sum mods for my car and one on the list is a HID kit. Ive never bought one b4 but ive installed a few of them. Im just postin to see what brand everyone is using so i dont make a $150-$500 mistake. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

which brands are you looking at?

normally, with HID/xenon kits (as with many mods), you get what you pay for. look for brands with solid customer service in the event a bulb or ignitor craps out on you. so the longer the warranty, the better (obviously).

furthermore, most folks who get aftermarket HID kits make the mistake of not considering projectors. self-leveling is nearly out of the question with aftermarket setups and especially in the price range you mentioned. without projectors or comparable headlight housings, the lightbeams will not be focused. while you are getting more lumens, the dispersion will mean that you getting little improved visibility (if any and in some cases, it can be worse).

lastly, you need to consider whether aesthetics or light output is more important. and that would seem obvious since light output tranlates to greater visibility and thus safety. the higher the temperature rating on the bulb, the more purplish it will become. if you start from 4300k, which is the temp rating on many oem xenon headlights and move to 6000k, you will notice that the light will become more bluish. and most folks think 6000k is the best balance between aesthetics and total lumens emitted. most folks argue that 6000k offers just as much visibility as 4300k. that is definitely not the case. your eye sees more blue and therefore "tricks" you into thinking there is more light emitted. while it is true that the total frequency of the light emitted at that temp rating may be higher, the total amount of lumens is a significant decrease from that of 4300k. if you drive on concrete roads, it may seem brighter. the best test is in the rain or on a dark road that is blacktop. or better yet, you can install one 6000k bulb in just one headlight and immediately see the difference. now, as you move up to 7000k and above, visibility drops even more significantly. i do not remember the exact relationship between temp rating and total lumen output but it is not linear. 4300-4500k is the best for visbility but some folks dislike the slight yellow tinge to the light emitted.

hth somewhat.

Are you Vietnamese?

Are you Vietnamese?

i have no idea if u were tryin to be a smartass or if that was a serious question......but anyway, ive looked at a few brands so far and it seems like mcculloch is right up there with the best. I completely understand wat u said tho. I was on D Road a few weeks ago and saw a Prelude with maybe sum 12000K hids. The fact that he had purple lights was kinda gay (and he drives a honda) but the light output sucked. Like everything within 20 feet down the road was on barney status and that was all he could see. Ill probably go with 8000k. Cuz my headlights put out a good output already with sum cheap sylvannias. Ill just continue lookin at diff companies. Thanks for the help man.

i have no idea if u were tryin to be a smartass or if that was a serious question......but anyway, ive looked at a few brands so far and it seems like mcculloch is right up there with the best. I completely understand wat u said tho. I was on D Road a few weeks ago and saw a Prelude with maybe sum 12000K hids. The fact that he had purple lights was kinda gay (and he drives a honda) but the light output sucked. Like everything within 20 feet down the road was on barney status and that was all he could see. Ill probably go with 8000k. Cuz my headlights put out a good output already with sum cheap sylvannias. Ill just continue lookin at diff companies. Thanks for the help man.

that is exactly what i was thinking about his question. wtf?

do you have stock headlights? if you do, then you may need to upgrade them to maximize an HID kit. i know that you said that your headlights have good output with aftermarket bulb upgrade, but with HIDs, as you may know, it is much more critical to have a focused beam. this is not only important for your visibility but also for those who are approaching you from the opposite direction in which you are traveling.

another issue is that your headlight housing may get too hot with xenon bulbs. this has been a problem for quite a few folks who went with an upgrade.

i do not recommend 8000k. the temp rating is too high. 8000k will not be barney purple but may have a purple tinge (depending on the quality of the kit you get). furthermore, the total lumen output difference from 4300-4500k is great.

i would say go with 6000k if you want a balance between visibility and aesthetics.

then again, it is your decision. well, hope that helps.

I would say go with 6000k, and if you need help one of my friends sells them.

Digital Slimline Ballast, you can get 35watt or 55watt, I have the 55watt 6000k Kit in my car if you want to check them out. I am free all weekend.

$143 Shipped for 35 watt and $168 Shipped for 55 watt and the ballasts come with a lifetime warranty.

no i have projector headlights. so what's the main reason that happens to the housings??

yo adam, is there a website for this guy's product. and are you comin to the meet?

cheaper headlight housings....many are not lined completely around the bulb with glass. that is when you get melting. not good.

I would vote for 6000k, I switched to that in the headlights and the fog lights and love it, especially with the Angel eyes.

I bought the headlamp bulbs off ebay, they are Phillips Ultinons and the fog light kit was from Umnitza, but I do not remember the brand.

In case anybody is asking, I am caucasian.

woah!! I wasn't trying to be a smart-a**/funy/jerk/joking.....seriously, it was a just a question. There was NOTHING implied by it AT ALL. I talked with a Vietnamese guy in SC driving a white modded gti dumped down like yours a few months back, didn't know if it was you. Sorry for the way I asked the question....

woah!! I wasn't trying to be a smart-a**/funy/jerk/joking.....seriously, it was a just a question. There was NOTHING implied by it AT ALL. I talked with a Vietnamese guy in SC driving a white modded gti dumped down like yours a few months back, didn't know if it was you. Sorry for the way I asked the question....

ahh ok gotcha. at first i was like....the f***??? i dont work at a sweat shop. but it sounds like 6000K is the way to go.

i am glad that got cleared up. that could have gotten fugly for no real good reason.

and i am certainly glad nothing was implied by you.

ahh ok gotcha. at first i was like....the f***??? i dont work at a sweat shop. but it sounds like 6000K is the way to go.

yeah, go with 6000k.

Ill be there on sunday if you want to check out my kit from apex. You can look at www.khoalty.com he dropships all his bumpers from us, but is pretty close with the owner of apexcone. BTW I can get you a lower price than on the site, you can see my kit on sunday and go from there.

I just ordered my first set of real HID's I hope they work as well as advertised. I chose the 4300k color due to the long backroads commute I have every day. I got tired of the halogen wannabe HID bulbs I had in the car getting dimmer every day grrrrr.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...