Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.

More daily driver talk...

In negotiating with dealers and my wife... the search has taken a lot of interesting turns. One thing that has been so frustrating is the ignorance of all but a single sales person I have spoken with. No knowledge of inventory, what is included in what packages, what changes were made in what years for models, pricing, etc. The sales people have added no value and its far more educational to sit at home and look on their website since they all want you to sit down as they fumble into an old computer that takes forever to boot and ask you a bunch of redundant questions to enter in your information!

It all started with a used CL that was priced rediculously well and an amazing car.... wife was reluctant for 2 doors and spending money. Looked at E classes, 5 series, 7 series, and A6's mostly. Then the wife found a 2007 A4 with 20ishK miles but was cheap. This thing was a rebadged jetta and in rough shape for the miles but there was also a 2010 A4 with a 6MT... it was about 5K more but still cheaper than anything else we looked at.

I had a volvo when Audi's were getting popular and the intereiot on my S60R was WAAAAY nicer than Audi's of the day. My current E500 I think has a nicer interior than the new ones and I am just not a fan of the standard BMW interiors. The M's and such are nice but the remainder just seem cheap and I hate the standard steering wheel. The Audi was a great little car and so much fun with the 2.0T and 6MT. Not to mention that even without the sport package had an interior that I actually liked being in. I've heard people like Marc and Jeremy ranting about Audi's but now I get it. Also... the A4 is not as small as I feared on the inside. I really wanted to upgrade from the E500 to another quiet old man car... but I dare say this audi is more fun to drive than my 550hp Jag? The ability to actually push the car and not be at triple digit speeds was fun.

Any other cars to look at to compare to the Audi A4? What do I need to know before buying?

I'm still shocked how much I liked the car... For my wife to even have an opinion about the car (she drive and loves an old base model nissan Rogue) much less like the car also says a lot.

In negotiating with dealers and my wife... the search has taken a lot of interesting turns. One thing that has been so frustrating is the ignorance of all but a single sales person I have spoken with. No knowledge of inventory, what is included in what packages, what changes were made in what years for models, pricing, etc. The sales people have added no value and its far more educational to sit at home and look on their website since they all want you to sit down as they fumble into an old computer that takes forever to boot and ask you a bunch of redundant questions to enter in your information!

It all started with a used CL that was priced rediculously well and an amazing car.... wife was reluctant for 2 doors and spending money. Looked at E classes, 5 series, 7 series, and A6's mostly. Then the wife found a 2007 A4 with 20ishK miles but was cheap. This thing was a rebadged jetta and in rough shape for the miles but there was also a 2010 A4 with a 6MT... it was about 5K more but still cheaper than anything else we looked at.

I had a volvo when Audi's were getting popular and the intereiot on my S60R was WAAAAY nicer than Audi's of the day. My current E500 I think has a nicer interior than the new ones and I am just not a fan of the standard BMW interiors. The M's and such are nice but the remainder just seem cheap and I hate the standard steering wheel. The Audi was a great little car and so much fun with the 2.0T and 6MT. Not to mention that even without the sport package had an interior that I actually liked being in. I've heard people like Marc and Jeremy ranting about Audi's but now I get it. Also... the A4 is not as small as I feared on the inside. I really wanted to upgrade from the E500 to another quiet old man car... but I dare say this audi is more fun to drive than my 550hp Jag? The ability to actually push the car and not be at triple digit speeds was fun.

Any other cars to look at to compare to the Audi A4? What do I need to know before buying?

I'm still shocked how much I liked the car... For my wife to even have an opinion about the car (she drive and loves an old base model nissan Rogue) much less like the car also says a lot.

You referenced your wife 4 times in the above post about looking for a car.

You referenced your wife 4 times in the above post about looking for a car.

Its our first major purchase since being married so I made her a part of it since we're a team now... pulled the trigger on an old A4 this afternoon... the manual got sold right after I left the dealer :/ 8 speed, Premium Plus, sport package with S-line bumpers. Awful stereo and great gas mileage(4 cylinder) + cheap cost & 4 doors.