Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.

Looks like it's time for a new transmission...

Uber///M3

Looks like the Uber M3 is ready to give up it's transmission according to a recent fault code registered on the code reader (consequently along with it's inability to find 2nd-4th gears from time to time - up shifting and downshifting).

So, I'm looking for CE family advice. I prefer the SMG that the car came with and my car is supercharged (for those of u that didn't know). It's a 2002 year model with only about 75,000 miles on it.

Anybody know a vendor that offers rebuilt (read: reliable) transmissions for this car? The quote on a factory replacement is gonna run about $5500.00 (not including 11 hours of labor). Also, which replacement clutch kit is recommended (since we might as well replace that too while we're there).

Thx in advance for the advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thx ECB...looks like we're going back with a re manufactured unit from BMW Germany. I found a few used units from junkyards on eBay, but I'd rather not risk being right back here a year or two from now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Got it installed @ the dealership. That's where my favorite BMW mechanic Sherman Turner went to work after work fell off at his previous shop. He's the best I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot of mechanics in my time). Understands factory and after market BMW performance (very important for the Uber M3).

The car's currently being detailed at one of my favorite detailers - SCS Detailers (Stan Mason on Facebook) and I get it back Thursday at Noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Just saying hello. I'm glad that you got your Uber ride fixed up. Just so you know, having lived here in Germany for the better part of the last 3 years I have yet to see a E46M that is as clean and nice as yours. I frequent a ton of shows here too. I will be heading back to Columbia in a few months and it's nice to see that you are still there. Prost!!!

I sure will. I'm retiring and I'm trying to find either a nice E90/2 M car or a 135is. There's one at Dick Dyer right now with low miles. The 135 that is.

• 2 weeks later...

I like small cars. I did find a clean 2001 E46M3 Vert for cheap. I don't know if I want to deal with maintaining a 14 year old car which is the struggle that you are going through now with your car.

Indeed. I think I'm going to just stick to my guns and get the E9x M3 and enjoy it. When I get back we will have to go get a beer.