• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 buddahvw

buddahvw

member in dubious standing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:old VW buses<br />new VW's<br />new Audi's<br />bluegrass<br />party<br />beer<br />camping

Posted February 23, 2007 - 08:58 PM

OK, so I am 1st to admit, not a techno-file here; so this is gonna be hard to explain

The other night I purchased a new dig video camera (mostly to take in-car vids); I could not afford to go the true High Definition Camera; the "advisors" at best BUy told me that 3CCD/CDCC was the best vid quality you could get without plunkin down HD cash...

so I bought a Panasonic (PV-GS320) dig video camera; and a wide-angle lense. Camera records onto DV video tapes; but with the 3CCD cams, you can use the HD tapes or the DV tapes.

OK; here's where I start to get confused

you may remember that vid I posted up earler this week; the night I got the CruiseCam headrest mount in the mail. That night I used my still pic dig camera, a 5 megpixil camera with a video function; not the best quality. It records in .MOV files.................. not sure what that means...... keep reading, anyhow, the quality of that video was not horrible:
.mov Kodak Cam Vid

So when I got the new Panasonic Digital Video Camera I rushed out on the same road to take some videos. The wide angle lense definitly makes the field of vision wider and better, not sure if affects overall image resolution.

HERES WHERE I HIT THE PROBLEMS.

got the 1st video onto my computer, and it really looks GREAT, but I can't show or share that with you. I dont know if it's a panasonic only thing, but the files come off of the camera into the computer in .AVI format. But these files are too large (even 1.2 min clips) to upload onto YouTube or GoogleVideo; to share.

The built-in software allows you to "convert" the .AVI files; but the only choices it gives you are: (windown media files; AFS) or (Mpeg1; VideoCD compatible)

I tried both; converted them and they were small enough to upload onto YouTube or Google.

BUT the quality SUCKED ARS, to me; the quality is much worse than what I took with that Kodak Still Pic Camera (SD) with a small video function: Judge for yourself
Win Media AFS file; youtube (click screen adust size to smaller)
Win Media File AFS; google video
OR
Mpeg1; youtube

So here's the question:
- is the AVI format a panasonic only thing, or do all dig video camera use that format
- If the files I can share are no better than what the still pic cam I have now can take; well that would suck
- Is this a limitation of the software that came with the camera; would a true imagin suite allow me to use a more share-friendly format.
- I couldnt even upload a 45 second clip in the AVI format to youtube or google; what format are most of the videos that I see in those sites saved in; because the quality of those is far better than the AFS or MPEG1 formats that this software gives me
- even on the AVI images that I can see and not share; there is more "shaking" noticed on the new Dig Video Camera than you see in the 1st videos taken with the Kodak.................. I guess if the image has better resolution that becomes more visable???? I wanna play around with the mount to see if this can be reduced.

I apologize if this made no sense; like I said, I am not compter-savy............... so I am trying to learn, but really frustrated, having plunked that much cash, I mean credit card, to buy this new camera this week. Anyhow, if any of you out there are "experts", please chime in.......

trade this in for a Sony or a Cannon? Buy new software?

goto computer class?

thanks for reading this!
2006 Audi A3, 2.0T, Sport, DSG, Sirius, custom Ipod Tray w/ DICE link, VAG-Com goodies, 18" calera's, Neuspeed RSB, Koni FSD's
Posted Image

#2 Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Driving fast, lying under my bimmers on my garage floor, spending time with my wife, watching the Panthers and Braves, cooking in the kitchen or on the 'que', brewing beer, drinking some good vino. Basically, too many hobbies!

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:15 PM

8:00 Brought my Sony mini-DVD to Florida with me. Gonna do some comparisons. Good questions.

9:00 Whoops! Just noticed your's is a DV tape, not a DVD. I'll press regardless.

10:00 Well, my luck just ran out. The plan was to move my mini-DVD over to my laptop and do some conversions of the videos I had on the disk but guess what. This loaner laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD player! What the heck's up with that. Whoever ordered these things for us ought to be taken out and shot!!! Can't help now; have to wait until I get back to SC.
Rick

I am worth $1,795,650 on HumanForSale.com

#3 buddahvw

buddahvw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:old VW buses<br />new VW's<br />new Audi's<br />bluegrass<br />party<br />beer<br />camping

Posted February 24, 2007 - 02:15 PM

i may end up returing this thing..... took some footage today on the SALUDA GRADE, where i wanna lead the group drive

still shakey........... I guess the image is so clear, it really shown the vibrations..................

ahhhhhrrrrgggggg
2006 Audi A3, 2.0T, Sport, DSG, Sirius, custom Ipod Tray w/ DICE link, VAG-Com goodies, 18" calera's, Neuspeed RSB, Koni FSD's
Posted Image

#4 G T

G T

Habitual Line Stepper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 02:38 PM

Ok first off, when your camera records to a dv tape it is recording using a .dv format. Most windows computers cannot read this format so when your video camera software imports it, it translates it to an .avi file. The reason it is so big is because every 2 minutes or so is 1 GB of data, which is quite a lot. The software you have when it translates it to .avi probably doesnt compress the file at all, it just re-records it into the new .avi format. However, when you export it to a smaller .avi file or .asf file it compresses it down to really small files, which is probably the default settings of the export. This causes the quality of the file to go to s***, because you're trying to compress a 1 GB 2 minute movie file for example down to a 10 MB movie file, essentially trying to fit the same data into a file 100th of the size. Now, there are ways around this by using a different codec (codec = COmpression DECompression algorithm). Windows asf is a codec as is mpeg1. Both mpeg1 and asf are kind of old so thats probably why the quality is crap. As to what programs you can purchase that will do this, I am not sure because I use a Mac, but my guess would be is maybe Apple's Quicktime Pro Player (apple.com/quicktime). Its 29.99 and it should let you convert that .avi file to a bunch of formats. From within Quicktime Pro, after you open your big .avi file, you can then choose to export that file to say an mpeg4 format that has a state of the art codec, and you could probably convert that movie down to a 10 MB file or so and have pretty damn good quality, and then upload that to youtube or google video. If it still came out looking crappy you could change the options and up some of the settings and then re-export and try again.

Now, let it be known that I am no PC video expert in the slightest, however on a Mac I know how to do all kinds of editing and exporting files. But I believe what I just said will work, using Quicktime Player. I've used it before on the mac side to export files down to smaller formats and it works great.
Posted Image

Everyone in the world today is WAY to fixated on hurting everyones feelings, and what everyone else thinks :rolleyes: . America needs to once again be the most feared nation in the world, just like in WWII. We don't even need to attack anyone to do it (wish we could just go in and bomb - Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea, ect....we did it in WWII with Japan, and didn't concern ourselves with the collateral damage. YES, I understand it's not that easy today....so don't go off on that tangent, i'm just saying I wish we could. We honestly would only need to drop ONE nuke, and the rest of the countries who oppose use would be graveling at our feet, begging us not to drop any more,and would spoon feed up al-queda, ect. Yes, I also understand that a lot of those countries have nukes too, but we more than have the technology to shoot them down LONG before the reached us, those countries do NOT have that technology), we just need the factor of intimidation.

#5 buddahvw

buddahvw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:18 PM

thanks!

thats all greek to me; but some of the bus buddies are down this weekend for a Fix Yer Bus

one of them is a computer "guy" gonna have him try to walk me through this

thanks again!

buddah

even if i get the file format thing straight, the vibrations are really visable with this cam, I think the OIS, optical image stabalizer, is working overtime and may be making it worse... also I think it was a mistake to leave it on auto=focus, to much scenery changing

it will take some playin around I think
Posted Image

#6 Sinjin

Sinjin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 07:52 AM

i may end up returing this thing..... took some footage today on the SALUDA GRADE, where i wanna lead the group drive

still shakey........... I guess the image is so clear, it really shown the vibrations..................

ahhhhhrrrrgggggg

whens the group drive. l love going home, such nice roads.
2002 S6

#7 buddahvw

buddahvw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:25 AM

whens the group drive. l love going home, such nice roads.

havnt picked a date yet - still workin on it
I need to layout the 2nd part of the route near Lake Lure
so run would be:
lake lanier -> saluda grade -> gville watershed -> lake lure/batcave
then dinner!

im keepin the camera for now, one of my bus buddies that;s a computer guru is comming today to get me a new codec and explain this crud to me
Posted Image

#8 Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Driving fast, lying under my bimmers on my garage floor, spending time with my wife, watching the Panthers and Braves, cooking in the kitchen or on the 'que', brewing beer, drinking some good vino. Basically, too many hobbies!

Posted February 25, 2007 - 11:26 AM

havnt picked a date yet - still workin on it
I need to layout the 2nd part of the route near Lake Lure
so run would be:
lake lanier -> saluda grade -> gville watershed -> lake lure/batcave
then dinner!

im keepin the camera for now, one of my bus buddies that;s a computer guru is comming today to get me a new codec and explain this crud to me

I lived on Lake Lanier for 20 years. That's some great driving up in the mountains around Habersham County and up towards Clayton.
Rick

#9 buddahvw

buddahvw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 - 11:29 AM

I lived on Lake Lanier for 20 years. That's some great driving up in the mountains around Habersham County and up towards Clayton.

different lake lanier

the one Im talking about is on the NC/SC boarder. in tryon nc and landrum sc

very very small lake

but close to the old saluda grade (hwy 176)

- buddah
Posted Image

#10 Arctic323

Arctic323

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:29 AM

GA's Lake Lanier? I spent most every summer growin up there :)

And Buddah I have no advice for your camera troubles, just another random post by yours truly
Posted Image

Eric - E36 323is

#11 Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:33 AM

GA's Lake Lanier? I spent most every summer growin up there :)

And Buddah I have no advice for your camera troubles, just another random post by yours truly

Yeah, I grew up in Gainesville.

Hey Buddah, how did you ever get the videos into the right format? You were having so much trouble last week.
Rick

#12 buddahvw

buddahvw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted March 15, 2007 - 09:07 AM

i used Windows Movie Maker to get them into a Codex that was semi-viewable on youtube, ect

but my computer don't have enough "brain" to handle uber-editing

so I will get by with this for now
and later ; down the road
go into DEBT for a new MAC!
Posted Image

#13 Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted March 15, 2007 - 09:47 AM

i used Windows Movie Maker to get them into a Codex that was semi-viewable on youtube, ect

but my computer don't have enough "brain" to handle uber-editing

so I will get by with this for now
and later ; down the road
go into DEBT for a new MAC!

Yeah same here until a few weeks ago. I was doing some transferring videos from VHS to DVD. Of course the movie has to be read at real time in the VCR so that took about 2 hours but converting it into a DVD format was taking about 2 days! So I thought I had 512MB RAM in my desktop but when I checked, there was only 256. So no wonder the process was so slow. I bought 2GB for a couple of hundred bucks and installed it. Haven't tried doing a movie yet but I know it'll convert in a fraction of the time now.
Rick