BMW 330CI shuts off for no reason

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Catchme

Catchme

• Archived Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Driving BMW's. Going to the beach and the lake.

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:53 AM

For about a year now my car has turned off without warning on two ocassions. I will be taking off from a stopped position like at a stop sign or stop light. It will go dead. I will have to imediately start the car again and take off to keep from getting rear ended. Last week it happended twice within 10 minutes. The BMW dealership checked everything and they can't find anything. They said if I have an electrical gremlin then I am pretty much screwed. Anybody else had this problem and if so were they able to fix it?

#2 travsm3

travsm3

Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,240 posts

Posted February 03, 2007 - 09:22 AM

Wow, that is pretty random. It's on of those things that is nearly impossible to diagnose
Posted Image

#3 theollister

theollister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:07 AM

do your rpms fluctuate at idle (nearly cutting off after a few minutes?). It could be a dirty air filter (AND I MEAN FILTHY). Mine has done it once or twice, but it was sitting in my driveway for about 10 minutes before it did.

#4 travsm3

travsm3

Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,240 posts

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Could be a faulty VANOS too
Posted Image

#5 shadowless

shadowless

north and south

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:59 AM

Could be a faulty VANOS too

uh oh

dirty filter, as theollister, mentioned is a possibility

a bad MAF is another.

but as travsm3 mentioned, this is one of those diagnoses by exclusion.....very frustrating.

however, if you can describe any more symptoms you have noticed, that may help folks here narrow things down for you.

Posted Image
06 M3 silver gray on black, SMG, premium, cold weather, HK, xenons, 19" double spoked wheels
vf-engineering stage 2 SC, kreis-sieg exhaust, 3.91s, BBS LMs wrapped in F1s, alcon bbk, and a few other goodies....
07 X3 3.0si monaco blue on gray (hers), 45% suntek carbon tint on front side windows

#6 theollister

theollister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted February 21, 2007 - 10:04 AM

a bad MAF is another.

thats a good guess, make sure the wires coming off the top of the MAF aren't chewed up.

nothing gets choppy or out of balanced feeling before it cuts off, if so, sounds like coil burned up.

#7 R_Gasm

R_Gasm

Resident Smartass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts
  • Interests:Yachts on the reg, dustin' bucks, making so much money I hurt your parent's feelings.

Posted February 21, 2007 - 05:42 PM

before you go checking and replacing all the expensive parts its important to start with the easiest and cheapest fixes first. If i were you i would check the connection to my battery. could be a loose connection at the terminal, wire could be warn away and get grounded sometimes and shut the car off. that would be where i would start. I just fixed my friends camry last night infact cause he said his car kept shutting off, first thing i checked was his nasty corroded battery terminal that was almost off the post. give it the first look.
Posted Image
Vararam, TPIS longtubes, Corsa exhaust, SLP underdrive, BPP short shifter,ls6 manifold, ls7 clutch, fully built T-56, pussy magnet

#8 shadowless

shadowless

north and south

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted February 21, 2007 - 06:09 PM

before you go checking and replacing all the expensive parts its important to start with the easiest and cheapest fixes first. If i were you i would check the connection to my battery. could be a loose connection at the terminal, wire could be warn away and get grounded sometimes and shut the car off. that would be where i would start. I just fixed my friends camry last night infact cause he said his car kept shutting off, first thing i checked was his nasty corroded battery terminal that was almost off the post. give it the first look.

very good point.

go after the horses before the zebra

Posted Image
06 M3 silver gray on black, SMG, premium, cold weather, HK, xenons, 19" double spoked wheels
vf-engineering stage 2 SC, kreis-sieg exhaust, 3.91s, BBS LMs wrapped in F1s, alcon bbk, and a few other goodies....
07 X3 3.0si monaco blue on gray (hers), 45% suntek carbon tint on front side windows