28 replies to this topic

#21 mjames

mjames

MJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:45 PM

Got a quick question for ya. Do you think that the Garmin Nuvi 200 and the Tomtom one are pretty much the same? I'm looking at buying something cheap for my wife and I don't want to buy something expensive. Can I go wrong buying either one of these?

No idea about the TomTom, but if you want text-to-speech, get the nuvi 350. I got it for that (big difference as you can keep your eyes on the road) and it also traffic-compatible. On Amazon, the 350 isn't much more than the 200. The only downside is it is 4x3, not widescreen.

audi_s4_3.jpg
2010 Audi S4 - Ibis White - Magma Red/Black Nappa Leather

OEM blackout grille - 20% tint

AG M590 19x9.5 et40 - Michelin Pilot Super Sports

034 Motorsports Transmission Mount

#22 Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Driving fast, lying under my bimmers on my garage floor, spending time with my wife, watching the Panthers and Braves, cooking in the kitchen or on the 'que', brewing beer, drinking some good vino. Basically, too many hobbies!

Posted April 22, 2008 - 06:19 PM

I bought the TomTom 920 since it has all the European maps built into it. Sounds like it's ready to go right when you plug it in. Read some revues saying that the resolution wasn't as good as the Garmin but we'll see.
Rick

I am worth $1,795,650 on HumanForSale.com

#23 Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Driving fast, lying under my bimmers on my garage floor, spending time with my wife, watching the Panthers and Braves, cooking in the kitchen or on the 'que', brewing beer, drinking some good vino. Basically, too many hobbies!

Posted April 26, 2008 - 07:13 AM

Got the 920 yesterday so spent a couple of hours uploading all the map updates and the new OS via my laptop last night. So this morning, I programmed in the route from my house to William Brice Stadium in Columbia to see the Kenney Chesney concert this afternoon. It was pretty easy; I did it all using the remote control. Didn't have to touch the screen once.
Rick

#24 mjames

mjames

MJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted April 26, 2008 - 05:22 PM

I'm freaking in love with my Garmin nuvi 350. Enough that I would consider passing on nav/iDrive in my next car.

audi_s4_3.jpg

#25 Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted April 26, 2008 - 09:38 PM

I'm freaking in love with my Garmin nuvi 350. Enough that I would consider passing on nav/iDrive in my next car.

Have you figured out a way to hardmount it to the dash or do you just have it stuck to the windshield mount? The TomTom comes with a docking station so if I can buy an extra one and figure out the correct wiring, maybe I can integrate it into the console somehow. Can't stand all those wires hanging all over the place.
Rick

#26 mjames

mjames

MJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted April 27, 2008 - 09:24 PM

Have you figured out a way to hardmount it to the dash or do you just have it stuck to the windshield mount? The TomTom comes with a docking station so if I can buy an extra one and figure out the correct wiring, maybe I can integrate it into the console somehow. Can't stand all those wires hanging all over the place.

I only use it during trips, so I don't mind the suction cup. It's VERY small and pocket-size, yet big enough to see clearly, so it doesn't seem like a huge brick on my dash. I can fold the cord into my ashtray neatly so there's no mess.

audi_s4_3.jpg

#27 Fstcmpny

Fstcmpny

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Family, my car, F1, ALMS, NASCAR, NHRA, Clifton's new GT3, a new car preferably a GT-R :)

Posted May 15, 2008 - 02:41 PM

We have the Nuvi 650 and love it, got it on eBay for around $300, my in laws just bought the 350 and love it too. Can't go wrong with the Nuvi plus consumer reports rated them very well. I think the 660 was number 1 but we did not need the bluetooth or Mp3 stuff so went with the 650.

#28 sg///M3

sg///M3

Banana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted June 09, 2008 - 01:39 PM

For those still looking
Garmin Nuvi 350 for $200 at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.co...5...0151&sr=8-1
or $50 off Garmin unit at Best Buy
http://www.divshare....oad/4672433-8da